A SHORT VANITY URL THAT IS SPECIFIC TO YOUR COMPANY
While many people use popular URL shorteners (like bit.ly or goo.gl), did you know you can create a short vanity URL that is specific to your company or product name?
A custom vanity URL provides consistent branding, no matter where your content is shared. It also creates link trust, meaning readers will feel more confident sharing your content from a source they trust. Examples of vanity URLs include: nyti.ms (The New York Times) or huff.to (The Huffington Post).
Here are steps to create your own vanity URL:
- Choose a vanity URL that resembles your regular domain name and is less than 8 to 10 characters. Consider abbreviating your company name, removing vowels, or using initials. Domai.nr is a popular domain suggestion tool if you need ideas.
- Choose a hosting service, such as Bit.ly – which offers very detailed stats about link sharing, clicks, and more.
- Buy your vanity URL using any domain registration site, such as GoDaddy or iPage. For convenience, consider purchasing your vanity URL from the same place your website is hosted.
- Set up the shortener. If you are using Bit.ly, go to “Account Settings” and then “Advanced.” Select either ‘Personal’ or ‘Business’ under the “Custom Short Domain” header and enter the vanity URL you purchased.
- Create a DNS record for your new vanity domain. If you need help with this step, consider asking your domain registrar.
- Verify your tracking domain to ensure all click traffic will appear on your dashboard. To set up your tracking domain in Bit.ly, go to the “Advanced” tab in Settings. Enter the domain name you want to track (your site’s long domain name) and verify that you own the domain.
- Share! As long as you are logged into your Bit.ly account, any URLs from your long domain will be automatically custom-shortened.
If you’d like ideas or samples for creative print marketing tips, contact us today. We’d love to help.