REDUCE STATIC ELECTRICITY IN YOUR HOME OR OFFICE
While the chances of you being injured from static electricity while using electronics (such as a computer, phone, or other office equipment) are very low, static discharge is not only shocking, but it could damage or shorten the life of your electronics. Here are a few tips to reduce static electricity in your home or office:
- Climate control is important. If you do not have a humidification unit built into your HVAC system, consider using a humidifier to increase indoor humidity, especially during colder months.
- Try an anti-static carpet spray, which essentially adds tiny particulates and conductive substances to carpet fibers to help in dissipating static charges.
- Consider placing anti-static mats in places with high static, such as carpeted work areas.
- Plug your devices into surge protectors, which limit the voltage supplied to an electric device by either blocking or shorting to ground any unwanted voltages above a safe threshold.
If you’re looking for creative marketing ideas that are sure to shock your competitors, give us a call today at 856.429.0715!
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO SCREENSHOT
While anyone can take a screenshot by pressing the Print Screen (prt sc) button, did you know that Windows 10 offers additional ways to screenshot, which may better suit your needs? Here are a few alternate ways to take screenshots using Windows 10:
- Alt + Print Screen captures only the active window. This is a great way to capture only the content you want to show when using multiple monitors with several windows open.
- Win + Print Screen not only takes a screenshot of your screen, but it saves it directly to your drive in the Pictures library, in the Screenshots folder, as PNG files.
- Win + H not only takes a screenshot of your active app, but it also brings up a sharing panel to easily insert and share the screenshot in other apps, including email.
- Win + Volume Down is ideal for tablet users, and will take a screenshot of your entire screen and save it to the Screenshot folder (similar to Win + Print Screen)
- The Snipping Tool provides flexibility to choose what is captured in the screenshot and allows you to make notes on or highlight content using the built-in tools.
- To create a Snipping Tool hotkey (keyboard shortcut), navigate to Start > All apps > Windows Accessories, right-click on Snipping Tool entry, click More, and then click Open file location to open Windows Accessories folder. Right-click on Snipping Tool shortcut, click Properties. Under Shortcut tab, click the field next to Shortcut key, and then enter a keyboard shortcut that you would like to use. Note that Windows automatically adds Ctrl + Alt as a prefix, but you can certainly go with something as easy as F7.
Our print team can offer you a lot of creative tips when it comes to your important printing projects, too. Remember, other printers may be nearby, but nobody comes close!
A GREAT WAY TO STAY FOCUSED AND INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY
Keyboard shortcuts are a great way to stay focused and increase productivity. Here are a few of the most popular shortcuts that we recommend you memorize if you haven’t already.
Ctrl + A will select all
Ctrl + C will copy
Ctrl + X will cut/remove (rather than copying it)
Ctrl + V will paste the text or object stored in the clipboard
Ctrl + Z will undo changes
Ctrl + Y will redo changes
Ctrl + F opens the find field
Alt + Tab switches between open programs
Ctrl + Tab switches between browser tabs
Ctrl + S saves your file
Ctrl + Home moves the cursor to the beginning of the document
Ctrl + End moves the cursor to the end of the document
Ctrl + P provides a print preview
Command + A wills select all
Command + C will copy
Command + X will cut/remove (rather than copying it)
Command + V will paste the text or object stored in the clipboard
Command + Z will undo changes
Command + Shift + Z will redo changes
Command + F opens the find field
Command + Tab will switch to most recently used open app
Command + N opens a new window or document
Command + O opens a selected item
Command + P prints the current document
Command + S saves the current document.
Command + W closes the front window
Command+Option+W closes all windows of an app¬
While using the internet, spacebar (or the “pg dn” key) moves the scrollbar down a page, Shift + spacebar (or “pg up” key) moves the scrollbar up a page.
REVIVE YOUR PC’S PERFORMANCE
A sluggish computer can be very frustrating. If you’re running a Windows PC, here are a few easy ways to revive your computerБ─≥s performance and increase its speed:
- Close numerous browser tabs. Having too many browser tabs or programs open at once will put a strain on your computerБ─≥s RAM and could cause your PC to slow down.
- Uninstall programs you rarely use. To uninstall these programs manually, visit the Add/Remove Programs section of your Control Panel and uninstall any programs you did not order with your computer, such as trial versions of anti-virus or games. Or try a third party program, such as PC Decrapifier.
- Disable unwanted startup programs. To do this, click Ctrl-Shift-Esc and disable those that donБ─≥t need to be running all the time.
- Remove web browser extensions or add-ons you donБ─≥t need, which can slow down your web browser and use more memory. Simply go to your web browserБ─≥s Extensions or Add-ons manager and remove add-ons you donБ─≥t need.
- Defrag your computer hard disk, so it works more efficiently. In Windows, go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > Disk Defrag
- Turn on automatic system updates, which can improve the speed and lifespan of your computer. Automatic updates load in the background whenever you are connected to the internet and wonБ─≥t slow you down or interfere with your work. Click Start >Control Panel > Automatic Updates and choose Automatic.
- Periodically clear your browser history to avoid a build-up of cookies and help it run faster. Go to the History menu on your browser and then click Б─°Clear browsing data.Б─²
We know speed is important when it comes to your important printing projects too. We specialize in impossible deadlines, and our team works fast, so you donБ─≥t have to!
EASY SOLUTIONS TO REDUCE PNG FILE SIZES
There are many benefits of using PNG image formats, including transparency, animation, and lossless compression. However, PNG file sizes can get large quickly, which can dramatically increase load times. The easiest way to reduce PNG file size if you’re working with a number of images is to use an online tool, plugin, or script. Here are a few quick and easy solutions to reduce PNG file sizes:
If you’re using a WordPress site, you can install the Optimus plugin to optimize your PNG images automatically as you upload them.
TinyPNG is a website designed to help you optimize images with a perfect balance of quality and file size. You can also install the TinyPNG Photoshop plugin, which allows you to scale, preview, and save compressed PNG and JPEG images straight from Photoshop.
PNGGauntlet is a batch conversion tool which takes advantage of PNGOUT, OptiPNG, and DeflOpt. It shows you the original and final file size as well as the percentage it was reduced by. The program can also convert JPG, GIF, TIFF, and BMP files to PNG.
CompressPNG allows you to compress up to 20 PNG images at once quickly, and download them in a ZIP archive or individually.
ResizeImage.net is a free, easy to use website which enables users to crop and resize any image to your exact pixels or proportion and reduce the file size significantly without losing quality.
If you have questions or need help adjusting image files, our creative experts are just a phone call away. We look forward to hearing from you!
NAVIGATE YOUR WEBSITE AND POSTINGS MORE EASILY
From keyword usage to URL length, here are some helpful tips to ensure that search engines and users alike can navigate your website and postings more easily:
- Create a short, simple URL to enhance user experience and usability.
- There are no disadvantages of adding stop words (and, or, the, a, etc.) to your URL. However, be aware that they will make your URL longer.
- Ensure your URL is clean and readable. Not only are readers more likely to click links when they know where they are going, but search engines also read the words in URLs just like they read the content on your page, which helps connect you with your target market.
- Include keywords in your blog post URL structure, such as making the URL match the title of your post.
- If you choose to separate words in a URL address, always use hyphens, rather than underscores. Google’s algorithm does not read underscores. Good example: www.website.com/good-site-link. Bad example: www.website.com/good_site_link
- If you’d like help promoting your website in print, our team of creative experts are eager to help! Give us a call or stop by today.
If URL links change, remember that you are removing a page that Google has potentially indexed and other sites have linked to. To help with this, simply add a 301 redirect from your old URL to your new URL.Beware when structuring URLs, since root folders are often considered to have better or more important content by search engines. For example, www.website.com/page is considered top level content vs. www.website.com/page/subpage/info.
ENHANCE THE MANY GREAT FEATURES OF GOOGLE CHROME
Here are just a few useful extensions that can further enhance the many great features of Google Chrome, the most widely used web browser worldwide. While these are all great tools, just beware that extensions can slow down your browser, so choose those that are most useful to you.
- Adblock Plus removes ads from sidebars, as well as blocking animated ads, pop-ups, Facebook ads, and more.
- StayFocused enables you to restrict time spent on websites such as Facebook, so you can stay focused while working.
- HoverZoom allows you to quickly zoom in and see a full image when hovering over a smaller image.
- LastPass enhances your online security by offering one master password to access a variety of sites, which features multi-factor encryption.
- AutoPagerize enables you to automatically see the next page when you reach the bottom of the current page, without having to click “next.”
- Google Dictionary lets you double-click on a word and see the meaning in a pop-up.
- Blur offers protection from non-cookie-based tracking, which disallows companies from collecting data, auto-fill options for saved credit cards, masked cards, and provides the ability to create highly encrypted passwords.
- Goog.gl URL Shortener allows users to create a short URL with one click on the toolbar button. It also includes the option to share the link through various popular services including Facebook and Twitter.
- Musixmatch provides the corresponding song lyrics when you watch YouTube videos.
- Hola Better Internet integrates a free, yet effective VPN (Virtual Private Network) into your Chrome browser so that you can browse without revealing your identity to anyone to trackers.
- WOT offers details about the reputation of a website based on previous user experiences and reviews.
- HTTPS Everywhere switches websites from non-secure HTTP to HTTPS, which can protect you from privacy hijacking and fraud.
If you’re looking for creative printing tips, we’re always here to help! Give us a call today.